Re: [opensuse] Re: don't set Reply-to!! (was NO PERSONAL REPLIES...)
  • From: Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 02:04:50 +0100

>> [vacation messages sent to lists]
>>
>> Any decent mailing list software will filter out these messages.
>> Get a better mailing list software if that happens.

JE> Or better yet: have the user configure their mail blurb in a way
JE> so that it does not autoreply to lists, which would be the overall
JE> best solution!

To rely on every person to configure their mail environment correctly
is not a solution, IMNSHO. One needs to tackle that on the one place
where one can address the problem; at the mailing list software.

To quote Jon Postel in RFC 761, the TCP definition from Januay 1980,
the last two lines on page 12:

be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept from
others.

Words to keep in mind, they served us well in more than 25 years --
RIP Jon Postel.

Actually, your email -- that you replied to me personally as well with
this general discussion remark, and not only to the list as would have
been proper -- showed clearly that it's of no use to rely on end users
to get replies to the list right. This is a matter for mailing list
software; it can be and is done properly on many mailing lists, but
not on opensuse-*. QED.

Regards,
Joachim