Re: [opensuse] Compiling a metalink client - aria2 - impossible [Solved]
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 00:33:42 +0100

Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Wednesday 2006-12-06 at 23:27 +0100, Pascal Bleser wrote:
>>> That's basically what repositories are made for.
>>> What are you expecting ? Black magic ?
>>> Just because c-ares does not ship with SUSE, I shouldn't have built
>>> c-ares async DNS support in my aria2 RPMs ?
>
> I'm not saying that. What I say is that using the command line "rpm -i ..."
> there is no way I can know what package contains that library.

True. But that's what package managers are made for ;)

> And I insist that I don't want to add a new repository to Yast, because
> that operation takes over an hour, and then YOU takes even longer to
> start. I understand that repositories solve it another way - I didn't know
> that previously - but that makes things more difficult for installing a
> single lone rpm.

Certainly, but really, there's no other way to do it.
Packages do have dependencies.
Adding a repository taking hours is a problem with YaST in 10.1, not
with the repository itself ;)

>>> Don't tell me I suck at building RPMs.
>
> Hey! You are way too touchy. I never said that, and even less referring to
> _you_. I didn't know it was you. And that's true even if you don't believe
> me.

You certainly implied it, pretty much.
But whatever, I guess we both had a bad day ;)

>>> aria2 works really well though, very lightweight (uses even less RAM
>>> than rtorrent).
>
> That's understandable, and that's why I wanted to try that one first.
>
>>> And it's not even that hard to compile:
>>> autoreconf -fiv
>>> export CXXFLAGS="-I/usr/include/libxml2"
>>> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local \
>>> --enable-gnutls \
>>> --enable-bittorrent \
>>> --enable-metalink
>>> make
>>> make install
>>>
>>> The only trick is
>>> export CXXFLAGS="-I/usr/include/libxml2"
>
> That's similar to the method I have used, except the autoreconf part
> (which bombs out in my system, anyway).

Hmm.. strange, it works here.
I do "autoreconf -fiv" in my spec file.
You must have autoconf, automake, libtool, gettext-devel and intltool
installed to do the autoreconf.

> But the CXXFLAGS trick doesn't work; observe what I get:
> checking for libxml - version >= 2.6.24...
> *** An old version of libxml (2.6.23) was found.
> *** You need a version of libxml newer than 2.6.24. The latest version of
> *** libxml is always available from ftp://ftp.xmlsoft.org.
> ***
> It still wants a newer version of the libxml, and without it, metalink
> support is disabled.

Ok, that's another problem. Forgot about that one.
libxml2-2.6.24 packages are available from Packman.
But it works fine when using libxml2-2.6.23 at runtime.

>>> You could have looked at the .spec file in my aria2.src.rpm as I pointed
>>> you to the directory where it is available from:
>>> http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/suser-guru/rpm/packages/Network/aria2/src/
>
> Because 1) I haven't had time yet, I was answering email and attending my
> real life; and 2) because when I was trying to compile it I didn't know of
> that site and the relation to the one I was told about.
>
> Why isn't it there at
> "ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-guru/rpm/10.1/RPMS/src"? That's where I
> would expect source rpms to be.

No there isn't. With the directory layout I use, the src package is
always in a "src" subdirectory of the binary packages.
And I dropped src repositories because:
http://dev-loki.blogspot.com/2006/11/repository-stripping.html

> I got it compiled with a hack: editing the configure script thus:
> min_xml_version=2.6.23
> # min_xml_version=2.6.24

That's an option as well.

> With that single change, the configure and make works fine (no parameters
> needed), and the programs seems to run fine, too - so does your version,

If it runs that way, I'll patch the next build of aria2 like that.

> of course, which I have also installed and used, but I prefer my own if I
> can get it ;-)
> And this solves my original question :-)

BTW, I just built ares2 RPMs that don't require cares at runtime (hacked
the autofools files to link it statically) -- it's in ares2-0.9.0-2 and
will be on the server and mirrors in a few hours.

cheers
- --