Re: [opensuse] Elementary Device Info Question
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 16:06:37 -0500
On 2006/12/07 11:42 (GMT-0800) Randall R Schulz apparently typed:

> On Thursday 07 December 2006 11:22, Greg Wallace wrote:

>> I feel pretty stupid asking such an elementary question, but don't
>> know how to look it up. What command will tell me the block size of
>> a given hard drive? It could also be a command that gives it to me
>> for all drives but I really only need it for a particular one right
>> now (/dev/sda5), though one that would list all drives and their
>> attributes would probably be more useful long term.

> I am curious if there are any magnetic drives in common use today (say,
> IDE-, SATA -, SCSI-, FireWire- or USB-connected and 15,000 RPM or less)
> whose native sector size is anything other than 512 bytes?

I bought a couple of SCSI disks claimed to be "good" off eBay several
years ago. All the partitioning software I tried on them complained they
were unusable. Turned out LLF was required to convert them from 520
(IIRC) btye sectors used by Unix System 5 to standard 512 bytes sectors
in order for me to use them.
--
"Let your conversation be always full of grace." Colossians 4:6 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409