Re: [opensuse] HOWTO Configure window open location and size
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 11:52:17 -0800
On Thursday 07 December 2006 11:33, Don Raboud wrote:
> On Thursday 07 December 2006 08:00, Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC) wrote:
> > How/where can I get the respective windows to remember their
> > locations and size. I would assume on each app window but have
> > driven myself arounnd several bends trying to figure out which does
> > what so some help would be appreciated.
>
> Under KDE, right click on a window title bar, chose Advanced and then
> special window settings (or special application settings), whatever
> seems appropriate.

There's also a section just for these settings in the KDE Control Center
(the last settings panel in the "Desktop" group / section).

This is one of my most favorite features, especially in late-model KDEs
where you can indulge just about every conceivable control-freak
impulse you might have.

For example, you can exclude certain windows from the task bar or the
pager (I apply both of these to my GKrellM window and to the taskbar
clock's calendar pop-up window, e.g.). You can control position,
virtual desktop assignment, size, maximization in either dimension and
on and on.

The hard part can be to get the proper criteria for distinguishing the
window(s) to which a particular setting applies. Some applications
(especially non-KDE applications and most especially Java applications)
don't distinguish their windows sufficiently and you cannot apply your
preferences to just the windows you like. You can use the internal
window descriptors (which are the one's that tend not to be
sufficiently refined in non-KDE applications) or base the setting on
the window title or title prefix, but sometimes even that's not enough.

But all in all, it's a fabulous capability. I've got dozens of them on
my system. ("A place for everything, and everything in its place"...)

> --
> Don

Randall Schulz