[opensuse] cdparanoia / libcdda_paranoia: tons of syslog error messages
  • From: Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 18:16:00 +0100
Hello,

I'm using SUSE 10.0, and have SATA disks. My CD-ROM is accessed via the SCSI interface, too.

When I use cdparanoia to rip a CD, or when any application uses libcdda_paranoia from cdparanoia, I get thousands of syslog messages that read

kernel: sg_write: data in/out 30576/30576 bytes for SCSI command 0xbe--guessing data in;
kernel: program XXX not setting count and/or reply_len properly

where XXX is the program that uses the shared library. Of course, getting thousands of syslog messages during one rip is not appreciated by me. :-)

Googling around I found the following analysis
http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/paranoia/2005-July/001438.html
(without any answers) and the following remark on lkml:
So this is a problem that is caused by a change to the Linux kernel; it is known, but obviously remained in 10.0.

Do others get similar errors, or am I alone with that?
How about 10.1 / 10.2?
Can I prevent these syslog messages somehow?
Is there another version of libcdda_paranoia that implements a saner check, as explained in the LKML posting?
Or does a new kernel help?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Joachim

PS: For reference, the output of cdparanoia -vQ:

Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
/dev/sr0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface

Found an accessible SCSI CDROM drive.
Looking at revision of the SG interface in use...
SG interface version 3.5.33; OK.

CDROM model sensed sensed: _NEC CD-ROM CD-3002B C500

Checking for SCSI emulation...
Drive is ATAPI (using SCSI host adaptor emulation)
Couldn't disable kernel command translation layer

Checking for MMC style command set...
Drive is MMC style
DMA scatter/gather table entries: 128
table entry size: 32768 bytes
maximum theoretical transfer: 1783 sectors
Setting default read size to 13 sectors (30576 bytes).

Verifying CDDA command set...
Expected command set reads OK.