Re: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-announce] openSUSE 10.2 is done
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 22:04:01 -0800
On Wednesday 06 December 2006 21:46, John Andersen wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 December 2006 06:29, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > In order to make that feasible, one thing that will have to happen
> > is to supply PDFs with suitable Open Prepress attachments and
> > impositions and maybe cut marks and whatnot.
>
> Do those pdfs differ substantially from others?

The attachments don't interfere with ordinary PDF viewing or printing.
But if their are cut marks and alignment markers, then yes, you'll see
them and they'll force the PDF page size to be bigger than the
resulting printed page size.

I'm not sure if impositions (<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imposition>)
are handled in the attachments or in the primary document flow. If the
latter, then the page ordering will be unnatural and make it hard to
read the document sequentially in a PDF viewer.

> Because I've seen what Kinkos can do with your run of the mill
> company report delivered on a thumb drive 20 minutes before the
> presentation. They looked great. They told me I could email it,
> upload

It's not the same thing. Printing for large numbers of pages with
binding requires page impositions. It's possible the printer can create
the impositions, I suppose. I don't know if they're set up to do that.

But if you want to print bound manuals from PDF files, then you'll
really want pre-press-oriented PDFs.

Randall Schulz