Re: [opensuse] More fallout on the Novell <> MS Deal on /. and Groklaw
  • From: Janne Karhunen <Janne.Karhunen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 07:44:53 +0200
On Thursday 07 December 2006 05:27, Darryl Gregorash wrote:

> > It's just that Novell has not realized this yet and is giving
> > MS precisely what it wants. Let me quote PJ:
> >
> > 1. to try to prove that the GPL is not legally binding and so
> > can be violated in order to make some money, honey.
>
> I thought all previous musings from Groklaw were that the GPL *is*
> legally binding, and that Novell is intentionally violating it. Nice
> try, then, to change horses and try to assert the opposite.

Umm, PJ is still saying GPL is binding. She's just trying to
point out Novell does not feel that way.

> > 2. Another goal was to cast a legal cloud over Linux, so in the
> > enterprise, PHBs would be afraid to employ it for fear of
> > legal consequences of possibly violating SCO's "IP".
>
> SCO has been hit a mortal blow: Virtually their entire case has been
> thrown out by the presiding judge, and they have yet to demonstrate a
> single line of code that supports their claims. Anyone believing that
> the community of end users is oblivious to these developments is on
> drugs so cheap that I don't even want any.

Yep. So MS is looking for new desperate company to provide
any backing for it's FUD. Novell is giving them that, and
I don't think this is what Novell intended. However, can't
see them that dumb either that they would not have seen
what's coming.

> > 3. And also there was the apparent goal of forcing Linux to cost
> > something
>
> There is a recent decision by a US federal court (SCOTUS itself??) that
> there is no legal obligation to charge anything for one's work. This was
> by attempting to create a monopoly. In short, the court found that US
> anti-trust legislation does not require one to sell one's product, so
> the GPL is quite safe on these grounds.

You missed the point again. You, as a Novell customer, are
paying to MS from now on [for something that does not exist,
ie. FUD]. Is that what you wanted?

--
// Janne