Re: [opensuse] Which Shell do I Have?
  • From: Thomas Hertweck <Thomas.Hertweck@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 20:41:53 +0000

Randall R Schulz wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 December 2006 11:17, Thomas Hertweck wrote:
>> Anders Johansson wrote:
>>> ls -l /proc/$$/exe
>> Could you please elaborate why you came up with this solution? I
>> think this is not portable - for instance, our HP box here has no
>> procfs, so your solution fails. An "echo $0" should always work (as
>> far as I know).
>
> I thought it was rather clever.

Depends on the situation.

> This is a list for users of openSUSE Linux or of other Novell SuSE Linux
> releases. At the very least, Linux is a reasonable assumption for
> answers given here, and all current Linux systems have a proc file
> system.

What is the problem of looking beyond one's own nose? Discussions about
topics like this are technical, much more interesting and relevant than
at least 80% of all the other emails on this list. Your IMO
short-sighted comment is causing a lot of trouble in the life of many
programmers/system administrators. I didn't complain about Anders'
solution, I was just interested in assets and drawbacks of the different
proposals. What's wrong with that? If you don't want to contribute
something useful to this discussion or if you are not interested, just
ignore this thread. Thank you.

Cheers, Th.