Re: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-announce] openSUSE 10.2 is done
  • From: jfweber@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 13:09:26 -0500
On Tue December 5 2006 9:00 pm, D Gavrilovic skratched these words onto a
coconut shell, hoping for an answer:
> On 12/5/06, Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Another posting from someone at SuSE suggests that there are still
> > many bugs in 10.2, and that they will be squashed by 10.3, to be
> > released next summer. I'll wait. Take note, Novell.
> >
> > --doug
>
> Can you please post links/sources? I have been looking forward t a
> 10.2 upgrade hoping to solve some issues I have with 10.1. I really
> don't want to wait until 10.3 final.

te
I've been playing w/ the 10.2 RC and most of my problems have to do w/ the
insistence on no nongpl software. ( Barring the stuff Novell has licenses
for ) I go to packman, find, say,lame for my architecture.. which OS is a
tad behind on .. and install like cake, but not ONE peice of software
will recognize it's there. At leasted the boxed set shouldn't do that or
what in hell is all the sweat going on at Packman going for anyway???
they must have a couple of new lakes or rivers, given the work they have
done. I updated all the required codecs for all kinds of items. Mainly
Audio/Video things . but you would have to do that sooner or later.

IF you want to get work done that doesn't include A/V , and you can play
this is a sweet music, CDs, radio, oggs, and MP3s right off the install
w/ o doing anything other than the original installation , you can. Just
not w/ many of the programs you expect to use.For instance, all the music
players will play Oggs ( better sound for the same file size BTW) but
Real audio is the only one that will play mp3s . This is a sweet install
and an even better looking desktop. Network management is easier,for
casual users, and lots of little tweaks and tucks have been put into
things..

I don't even need to have any sort of Word Proc. My stuff is usually happy
on kedit. But, OO looks pretty enough , as someone else commented, to
whistle at. I just don't have any use for it.. Those are my most
annoying bugs.

There are the usual annoyances at things not being where you think they
should be.but largely, unless you have weird hardware, or underused , as
64bit seems to be , so far in the world. You won't find anything that
should keep you from getting it. All new versions of things have bugs and
snafus, thing w/ linux and especially Suse linux, is they get fixed
quick!

In fact Linux-Magazine has a special going if you make a $9 & change
subscription trial now they will sent you two full dvds of 10.2 you
won't do better than that for a test. But , I found the 10.1 didn't have
64 bit architecture on it.. so be warned :) 2dvds should cover just about
everything tho.