[opensuse] Standards on openSUSE wiki
  • From: Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett <dmacvicar@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 17:55:40 +0100

I reorganized some documentation. This is motivated by:

- Recently I contacted rpm-metadata mailing lists in order to ask about some
mismatchs between the dtd files and the implemented versions in yum and suse
tools. Basically there is not much people working on the specs so now the
spec does not match the implementations, and worse we have extensions to the
(original) spec.
- Some days ago Benjamin Weber posted a nice proof of concept of a one click
installer. He defined some xml files. I would really like to push this
community innovation, but some rough edges needs to be adjusted first. how?
- the distribution itself has lot of conventions, formats etc, which are
sometimes not documented, sometimes documented in some generated
documentation. Generated documentation is ok, but it is not easy to evolve
and enhance the specifications using community suggestions.

So, I started with the zypp repository metadata and moved them. The top entry
page is:
http://en.opensuse.org/Standards

There you can find the metadata specification before available under (IIRC)
Software_Repositories. The idea is to get all standards un conventions under
the same place, and when you need to refer to them, you link.

I enhanced the repomd documentation, and it will get enhanced in the following
days as we need to document all the extensions in order to get them upstream.

There is a small guide in http://en.opensuse.org/DocumentingStandards

I included Benjamin's idea in the proposed standards. I remember seeing other
xml standards for mirroring etc. That is the right place. Please use long
descriptive names for the wiki page.

If you already have specs laying around in other doc page, it is ok to link
there from the entry in Standards, but please, provide examples or
explainations in a "tutorial" level, the idea is to help implement them and
making quick references.

The "talk" page and the mailing lists is the perfect place to discuss changes.

After some testing, we probably will get syntax highlighting in the future for
wiki pages. This will make the pages even more readable.

Duncan