Re: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-announce] openSUSE 10.2 is done
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 00:35:43 -0900
On Wednesday 06 December 2006 00:20, Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
> Sorry, but that is true for the advanced tech geek that will anyhow
> find it's infos in the web. Just about 3 month ago, my sister converted
> from Win to Linux (ok: I persuaded her). She did the installation by HER
> SELF, following the manual. Of course, afterwards there were some
> questions coming.. but the manual that she had in front of her did a
> great job and there was nothing to wonder about.

But, again, Dominique, she probably only needed a Getting Started manual,
how to install, how to connect to the net, etc. Thirty pages max, with the
first 10 just covering getting installed.

The effort of Suse is wasted if it is plowed into chopping down trees to
mail them around the world in the form of cellulose bricks, which are read
once (if at all) and tossed.

Put that same material on the web (ok use a wiki if you must), and it
can be kept up to date by the community. Maybe have a copy of all of this
on the DVD or a separate CDrom for people who don't want to (or can not) get
at the web pages. For the rest of us, a big fat icon on the desktop is all
we need.

Then all you need to do is give people enough of a paper manual to get
the thing installed.

--
John Andersen