Re: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-announce] openSUSE 10.2 is done
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 10:20:07 +0100

>>> Reply on 06-12-2006 11:18:07 <<<
> I don't think SuSE's making money on selling hard boxes. At best, it
> just
> balances. Just guessing.
>
> Perhaps a new business model is called for. So stop selling
expensive
> boxes,
> just sell a small envelope with a DVD and a large poster, some
stickers
> and
> whatever in, together with a thin "how to get started right now"
> manual.
>
> I want manuals too. But I don't want the ordinary "simple" manual,
> "getting
> started" (whatever) that's usually in the box.
> I want a real thick brick filled with hi-tech details and how-tos.
> That's too
> expensive to print, of course. So, as a paying user, let me have the
> envelope
> and a voucher with a code on, to let me download/on-line read the
real
> thick
> tech manual. Let that be what I pay for. And let me be able to pay
for
> actual
> real support too.

Sorry, but that is true for the advanced tech geek that will anyhow
find it's infos in the web. Just about 3 month ago, my sister converted
from Win to Linux (ok: I persuaded her). She did the installation by HER
SELF, following the manual. Of course, afterwards there were some
questions coming.. but the manual that she had in front of her did a
great job and there was nothing to wonder about. I for myself have never
read it (shame on me) but obviously, people that DO read it, understand
it and can use it. so don't take this tool away

Dominique