Re: [opensuse] Multiple DNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf
  • From: Sylvester Lykkehus <zly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 09:33:44 +0100
John Andersen wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 December 2006 14:17, Sylvester Lykkehus wrote:
>
>> My guess at this configuration would be:
>> /etc/resolv.conf:
>> domain company.net
>> nameserver 10.0.0.1
>> nameserver 10.12.1.2
>> But this results in opensuse.org being looked up, while
>> intranet.company.net fails.
>>
>> Another guess:
>> /etc/resolv.conf
>> domain company.net
>> nameserver 10.12.1.2
>> nameserver 10.0.0.1
>> Which leads to intranet.company.net being looked up, while opensuse.org
>> fails.
>>

>> How on earth do i get around this, and why does it seem that both
>> nameservers are not queried ?
>>

> Secondary name servers are ONLY queried if the first one FAILS or
> is not reachable. Its a misconception that secondaries will be checked
> if the primary can not come up with an IP for you.

Hi John,

I see, this was what i thought happened, server 1 to fail if it could
not look up the IP, therefore trying the next. Thanks for clearing that
out.

Are there any way I can get it query both, or alternatively use my
10.0.0.1 DNS, if it is not a company.net address ?
I know from that-other-os(tm), it is possible, since it works when using
VPN.

Best regards
Sylvester Lykkehus
< Previous Next >