[opensuse] dbus-daemon 100% CPU. Constant disk access.
  • From: "Marius Roets" <roets.marius@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 09:59:14 +0200
I have suddenly started to see very strange things in my openSuse 10.1
installation on my laptop. I was up to date with updates/patches,
until about a month ago, but have done no updates lately, and the only
new software I installed is the Novell linux client.

First problem I have is that there is a process called dbus-daemon
that is taking up 100% CPU, all the time. I don't know what this
process is, or if I could kill it safely, and why is it doing what it
is doing.

When I do kill this process, CPU time is freed, but some process is
writing/reading from the hard disk constantly (i.e. the hard disk
light is constantly on). How can I find out which process is accessing
the hard disk?

Thanks
Marius Roets