[opensuse] VMWare Full-screen problems with nvidia binary driver
  • From: Don Raboud <don.raboud@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 11:49:51 -0700
Hello all,

This may not be the best place to ask this, but its not entirely
inappropriate.

I have recently downloaded the free VMServer, created a virtual machine and
installed XP Pro. When I try to switch to full screen mode (using the
toolbar or CRTL-ALT-<enter>) not only does this *spectacularly* fail to
work, but I am kicked out of my KDE session and wind up back at the kdm login
screen. Not Good. This is using the nvidia binary driver (1.0-9629).

However, if I change the screen resolution in XP to match what my monitor is
using (1280x1024) *before* switching to full screen mode, the full screen
works OK, but then of course the non-full screen view requires scroll bars to
navigate the desktop.

If I switch to the supplied open nv driver, the full screen mode works fine,
regardless of the selected resolution of XP (at least the ones I have tried).
The monitor switches to 800x600 for example and the XP "desktop" fills the
entire screen. In the non-full screen view the XP desktop just sits inside
the VMware application as I would expect it to.

I suppose this could be a bug in the binary nvidia driver, but it might also
have something to do with my particular settings. I am just not very familiar
with virtual machines so I though I would ask here. Anyone else seeing this
behavior?

kde 3.5.5 release "45.1"
VMware 1.01
nvidia driver 1.0-9629