Re: [opensuse] Home network problem
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 07:48:24 -0500
On Tuesday 05 December 2006 07:25, James Knott wrote:
> M Harris wrote:
> > On Monday 04 December 2006 20:48, eharrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >> The connection is through a cable modem. I didn't try pinging the boxes
> >> back and forth.
> >
> > Make sure that your internal network is working first, then outbound.
> >
> >> BTW, what setting would keep the router from forwarding the linux
> >> packets?
* see next comment
> > That depends on the router. Mine is another Linux box through a shylink
> > switch to the internal net, and nic to the outside... is your router
> > home-made (linux box, other) or is it a hardware package like the
> > linksys, or other?
>
> If the box passes packets from Windows, it should also do so for Linux.
> There's no such thing as "Linux packets".

I interpreted this question to be shorthand for "... packets from the Linux
box?"

> The problem is either routing
> or DNS resolution in the system with the problem. If you can ping by IP
> address, but not host name, it's DNS. If you can't by IP either, it's
> routing. If you can't even ping a local IP, then it's some
> configuration issue with the NIC. A useful tool to find out what the
> problem is, is Ethereal.

I /do/ recall a thread in the last year or two here where we discovered a
small but significant difference between Linux and M$ "ping" ... one being
accepted and the other ignored, causing great consternation to the OP.

This may not be the case here, but forewarned is forearmed. I
think /usr/sbin/mtr was the solution.

Carl