Re: [opensuse] Home network problem
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 05:55:35 -0500
On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 20:10 -0600, M Harris wrote:
> On Monday 04 December 2006 19:04, eharrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > The suse box can ping the router and open the administration of the
> > network through the default gateway of the router. Any attempt to reach
> > the internet results is www..... can not be found. /etc/resolv.conf
> > changes dynamically and shows the ISP in the search line and their 2
> > nameservers, also. Still not joy.
> Can you ping an outside address:
>
> ping 209.97.46.5
>
> This is the address for www.usatoday.com.
>
> If you can ping the outside address, but can not ping www.usatoday.com, then
> there is something wrong with your name resolution... and
> probably /etc/resolv.conf is the problem.

That file should point to the router, the router should get the
dynamic name server information from the ISP. I have a similar
intermittent problem with my SMC4008ABR. Other than forcing the name
server information into the Config file (via YaST) I have found that
dis-connecting the DSL connection, and then reconnecting, using it's
administration software, to be a cure.

{snip}