Re: [opensuse] SuSE10.2-RC1, NetworkManager
  • From: Verner Kjærsgaard <vk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 20:40:06 +0100
Mandag den 4. december 2006 11:19 skrev Timo Hoenig:
> Hi Verner,
>
> On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 08:53 +0100, Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
> > On my brand new SuSE10.2 (internet install, all like a breeze), my
> > wireless (ipw2100 on IBM ThinkPad R50) gets detected and I'm able to set
> > it up correctly. I can't connect to my AP, however.
> >
> > I was under the impression that a thing called networkmanager would
> > automagically select between cabled and wireless if one of them is
> > available?
> >
> > It isn't.
>
> Please read http://en.opensuse.org/Projects/KNetworkManager .
>
> > In the panel, I've got this small icon down right, it's small
> > "Knetworkmanager" aplet. Only I can't select anything sensibly from it?
> >
> > Now what? What am I missing here?

> Please get back if you still have problems after reading the above link.
>
> Timo

Hi list and Timo,

- thank you for your reply. I read the info which was pointed to. Beautiful
screenshots...I never saw anything remotely like that on any of my boxes.
I've got 3 laptops, 2 IBM ThinkPad R50s and one DELL Precision M90 running
SuSE10 and SuSE10.2

- KNetworkManager clearly does not look like that on any of them.

As I try to re-install the wireless interface, I suddenly get a dialogbox that
says:

"(translated...) This unit requires firmware in order to function properly. I
may be installed from the openSUSE FACTORY 10.2 add-on CD. In order to
install the firmware, add the add-on CD to your YaST installtionsources and
return to this dialog"

In other words, I'll get back :-)