Re: [opensuse] rpm segfaulting
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 14:00:23 +0100
On Saturday 02 December 2006 12:10, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My rpm command segfaults when installing Mesa (and only that rpm that I
> know):
>
> nimrodel:~ # rpm --verbose --upgrade Mesa-6.4.2-19.12.i586.rpm
> Preparing packages for installation...
> Segmentation fault

When rpm segfaults, the first thing to try is rpm --rebuilddb

> It doesn't say why it segfaults, so I thought I would install rpm-debug,
> thinking that it would produce a coredump, perhaps. But Yast complains
> (hand copied):

You can get a coredump without the debug rpm, by setting "ulimit -c unlimited"
before running the crashing command.

You need the -debuginfo rpm to get some sensible, readable information from
that coredump

> This would invalidate atom:rpm-...
>
> | atom:rpm-4.4.2-43.4.i586 has unfulfilled requirements
>
> - Conflict Resolution
> O delete rpm
> delete atom: rpm-4.4.2-43.4.i586
>

> Obviously, I can't delete that package without hossing my system. What do
> I do?

Well, not so obvious. the -debug rpm has the same functionality, except with
debugging enabled. So you wouldn't be just deleting it, you would be
replacing it

But you don't need to