Re: [opensuse] (bug??) Another (small) problem with 10.2rc1
  • From: Simon Roberts <thorpflyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 15:07:43 -0800 (PST)

----- Original Message ----
From: Aveek Bhattacharya <aveekbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: OpenSuse list <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 9:05:04 AM
Subject: Re: [opensuse] Another (small) problem with 10.2rc1

Simon Roberts wrote:
> It used to be that my .profile file would be executed on login, but
> this no longer appears to be the case.

Try creating a symlink to .profile called .bash_profile. (Since you
spoke of bashrc, I assume that you are using bash.)

--
Regards,
Aveek Bhattacharya

Well, this helps, but .bash_profile is executed _twice_ on login! What's that about??

So, the upshot is, I'm still a little below par as far as extending my path and so forth goes.

I can do it the "hard way" (test and set a new environment variable and if the variable wasn't previously set, then extend my path, otherwise not) but one might hope the "easy way" (a working invocation to .profile or .bash_profile that is called exactly once during login) would be available still.

Can these behaviors be considered a bug? Or should I quit my whinging and mess with an environment variable?

Cheers,
Simon