Re: [opensuse] Is reiserfs dead?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 16:05:27 +0100 (CET)

The Thursday 2006-11-30 at 20:26 -0800, Kai Ponte wrote:

> > Here Jeff Mahoney explains the shift from Reiser to ext3 in the default
> > installation of opensuse desktop:
> > http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2006-09/msg00542.html
>
> That is very intersting to read.

Old stuff :-p

> I have noticed serious problems - particularly when compared to the pathetic
> NTFS - in directories with large numbers of files. My media directory has
> around 6000 files in various sub directories and it always kills konqeror
> when displaying any portion of it.

I have tested reiserfs on a dir with a million files and works fine. Try
that with ext3!

"Works fine" doesn't mean that you can happily list the contents, by the
way ;-)

> Also, I paid particular attention to this part, "ReiserFS v3 is a dead end.
> Hans has been pushing reiser4 for years now
> and declared Reiser3 in maintenance mode. Any changes that aren't bug
> fixes are met with violent resistance. Reiser4 is not an incremental
> update and requires a reformat, which is unreasonable for most people."
>
> I thought I WAS on v4, so I'm curious why v3 is even discussed.

No, you are not on v4. Not if you are using a stock SuSE distro. You need
to patch kernels and do nasty developer stuff ;-)

> > No need to change a running installation, though.
> > But I'll use ext3 in all future installs to future-proof them.
>
> Yeah, it seems like the world is moving to ext3, which is also mentioned in
> the posting.

Notice that the distro is not deprecating reiserfs. It is simply offering,
by default, to install on ext3 - or rather, will do so on next version -
but you can just click on the reiserfs button if you prefer it so.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.