Re: [opensuse] grub doesnt boot my system anymore, caught in endless reboot loop
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 03:44:59 -0600
On 2006-12-01 03:05, Mathias Homann wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm in serious trouble here, can't get grub to boot my box anymore.
> Instead of showing the grub boot menu, it reboots.

Grub has to store some absolute file locations in the MBR area, because
stage 1 doesn't know about file systems. It looks as if the file
locations have changed when you restored the files.

Start the rescue system on the installation CD/DVD and mount the
installed root (/) filesystem to any convenient place, eg /mnt (if
necessary, create the mount point). If you have separate /boot and /usr
partitions, you will also need to mount those to /mnt/boot and /mnt/usr,
respectively.

Now do a "chroot /mnt" followed by "grub-install hd0" to re-install grub
into the MBR of hd0.

Note: you may wish to verify that hd0 is the scsi drive. This
information is in /boot/grub/device.map (remember, you have done a
chroot already), which on my system is contains (both are IDE drives):

(hd1) /dev/hdb
(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/hda

On your system, hd0 should probably be /dev/sda.