[opensuse] grub doesnt boot my system anymore, caught in endless reboot loop
  • From: "Mathias Homann" <admin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 10:05:40 +0100 (CET)

Hallo,

Hi,

I'm in serious trouble here, can't get grub to boot my box anymore.
Instead of showing the grub boot menu, it reboots.

The story so far:

because of the old 180gig seagate barracuda (scsi) dying, i got my box a new 147gig fujitsu
MAW3147NP (also scsi).

I shot down the box, connect the new disk as ID 1, fire up the rescue system from suse 10.0
installation media, and created a partition layout on the new disk, similar to what it was on
the old one (except for a few size adjustments). Formatted the new partitions with mkfs.xfs,
then used xfsdump |xfsrestore to get the data over to the new disk.

After shutting down, i disconnected the old disk, configured the new one to ID0, booted the
rescue system again, and chrooted into the installation on disk, and did a mount -a which
worked just fine, so the partition layout agrees with my old /etc/fstab.

Then, I fired up yast to write a boot sector to disk.
That worked without error messages.
Now, when i try to boot that box, all i get is a short message from grub flashing by which I
cant quite read because its gone too fast, and then the box does a reboot.

Any ideas what's wrong there?
one fact to consider for solving: I don't really need to use grub here, lilo is ok with me too.
another fact: when I boot the installation dvd, and go to "other -> start installed system" on
the yast screen where you choose between fresh install and upgrade, the box comes up just fine
(and after i installed the kernel rpm from the dvd, it even finds all needed modules and does
its job like its supposed to be, just with the old kernel).

mountpoints:
celebrimbor:/boot/grub # cat /etc/fstab
/dev/sda1 / xfs defaults 1 1
/dev/sda9 /export xfs defaults 1 2
/dev/sda7 /tmp xfs defaults 1 2
/dev/sda6 /var/log xfs defaults 1 2
/dev/sda8 /var/spool xfs defaults 1 2
/dev/sda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/dvd /media/dvd subfs
noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy subfs
noauto,fs=floppyfss,procuid,nodev,nosuid,sync 0 0

fdisk -l:
celebrimbor:/boot/grub # fdisk -l

Platte /dev/sda: 147.0 GByte, 147086327808 Byte
255 Köpfe, 63 Sektoren/Spuren, 17882 Zylinder
Einheiten = Zylinder von 16065 × 512 = 8225280 Bytes

Gerät boot. Anfang Ende Blöcke Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 609 4891761 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 610 17882 138745372+ 5 Erweiterte /dev/sda5 610
703 755023+ 82 Linux Swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6 704 766 506016 83 Linux
/dev/sda7 767 829 506016 83 Linux
/dev/sda8 830 1438 4891761 83 Linux
/dev/sda9 1439 17882 132086398+ 83 Linux

/boot/grub/device.map:
celebrimbor:/boot/grub # cat /boot/grub/device.map
(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/sda

/boot/grub/menu.lst:
celebrimbor:/boot/grub # cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
# Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Do Nov 30 23:29:24 CET 2006

color white/blue black/light-gray
default 0
timeout 8

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
linux###
title SUSE LINUX 10.0
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 selinux=0 resume=/dev/sda5
splash=silent showopts
initrd /boot/initrd

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
floppy###
title Diskette
chainloader (fd0)+1

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
failsafe###
title Failsafe -- SUSE LINUX 10.0
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 showopts ide=nodma apm=off
acpi=off noresume selinux=0 nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 edd=off 3
initrd /boot/initrd

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
2.6.13-15-default###
title 2.6.13-15-default
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.13-15-default root=/dev/sda1 selinux=0
resume=/dev/sda5 splash=silent showopts
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.13-15-default
celebrimbor:/boot/grub #

bye,
MH

--
gpg key fingerprint: 5F64 4C92 9B77 DE37 D184 C5F9 B013 44E7 27BD 763C

--
Die unaufgeforderte Zusendung einer Werbemail an Privatleute verstößt gegen §1 UWG und §823 I
BGB (Beschluß des LG Berlin vom 2.8.1998 Az: 16 O 201/98). Jede kommerzielle Nutzung der