Re: [opensuse] Dell Computer with Suse 10.1
  • From: phantom21@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 23:17:57 -0500
On Thursday 30 November 2006 14:17, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Doug,
>
> On Wednesday 29 November 2006 18:21, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> >
> > The downside of these goofy new connections is that you can't use a
> > keyboard you really want, or a "mouse" you really want. I have a
> > number of IBM keyboards that I picked up years ago at flea markets,
> > and they're loud, but indestructable, and have a really good "touch."
>
> Oh, yeah! Genuine tactile feedback. If anyone knows of a keyboard still
> in production that has it, I'd love to know about it. I'm sure they're
> not cheap, but I'd say worthwhile. And yes, those old IBM keyboards
> were noisy, but you can type much faster and more reliably when you get
> better feedback.
>
> > --doug
>
> Randall Schulz

Some years ago I wanted a keyboard for a non-IBM computer which had the same
solidity and tactile feel. I researched and purchased a Northgate keyboard.
The base was metal, not plastic, it was heavy, it had the tactile feel, and
it had two other things I wanted: I could switch the positions of the alt and
ctrl keys and - using dip switches in the base - tell it which keys were
which, and it had the function keys down the left side of the keyboard and
the across the top.

Unfortunately, after many good years of service the keyboard doesn't work
properly anymore. I eventually had to place an adapter to go from old style
keyboard port to ps/2 style keyboard port, but that didn't help.

I would love to get another keyboard like that again for my main desktop
workstation.

Mark