Re: [opensuse] SCO is toast... Novell go get em
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:46:05 +0100
On Thursday 30 November 2006 21:29, M Harris wrote:
> On Thursday 30 November 2006 13:47, Anders Johansson wrote:
> > Novell's head of kernel development is Greg
> > Kroah-Hartman.
>
> Now we're getting someplace...
>
> ... this is what I am really getting at... and I genuinely am seeking
> knowledge; what does it mean to be head of kernel development at Novell?

It means being in charge of the team that does kernel development at SUSE
Linux Products GmbH. This means, aside from the normal administration things
all managers have to suffer through, being in charge of fixing kernel related
bugs in the SUSE kernel. For a closer job description, you'd have to ask Greg
himself

> Is the kernel that ships with Suse the "official" kernel that I can
> download from the official site unmodified <?> or, is it modified by kernel
> development at Novell?

Yes it's modified. The goal is to have a version as close to kernel.org as
possible, but the kernel version is frozen at the time of release. For
example, SLES 9 shipped with kernel 2.6.5. Since that time there have been
numerous bug fixes in the kernel.org kernel, and the ones relevant to the
SLES 9 kernel get backported

Also, there are drivers being maintained outside kernel.org, and they get
patched when there are bugs or other problems

All differences are kept as separate patch files in the src rpm, along with
clear indications of which bug numbers they fix

> Folks, that's a lot of lines of code... what I want to know is how many of
> them were coded (patched) by Novell kernel development?

Browse through the patch files in the src rpm. They are all kept separate and
each patch is reasonably small and self contained (so the developers can have
an easier time deciding if a patch is good or not)

> What do those
> patches do?

Feel free to cross reference the bug numbers with the entries in
bugzilla.novell.com

> How many of those patches, or future patches, will M$ control
> behind the scenes...

bite me