Re: [opensuse] SCO is toast... Novell go get em
  • From: M Harris <harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:29:38 -0600
On Thursday 30 November 2006 13:47, Anders Johansson wrote:
> Novell's head of kernel development is Greg
> Kroah-Hartman.
Now we're getting someplace...

... this is what I am really getting at... and I genuinely am seeking
knowledge; what does it mean to be head of kernel development at Novell? ...
or anywhere else for that matter? (see Greg Freemyer's explanation)

Is the kernel that ships with Suse the "official" kernel that I can download
from the official site unmodified <?> or, is it modified by kernel
development at Novell? note: I am not asking whether the kernel has non gpl
code at this point... only whether Novell kernel development modifies the
official kernel before redistribution and redistributes it under the gpl
license, or--- whether Novell modifies the kernel via the process Freemyer
described?

And I have another question along the same lines... consider:

"Linux 2.6.15 consists of 18,811 files and 7,290,070 lines of code."

Folks, that's a lot of lines of code... what I want to know is how many of
them were coded (patched) by Novell kernel development? What do those patches
do? How many of those patches, or future patches, will M$ control behind the
scenes... and if Freemyer's explanation is correct... how can we be sure that
the "patches" that get through are *ok*. And I don't mean gpl vs non gpl...
and I don't mean legal vs illegal... this is a control issue for me... I
mean, controlled by M$ to provide degradation of performance, or a back-door,
or anything else... that gets slipped by the watch-dogs on the Linus
team----- *

--
Kind regards,

M Harris <><