Re: [opensuse] How much memory does Suse need?
  • From: M Harris <harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 13:06:12 -0600
On Thursday 30 November 2006 12:49, Hugo Costelha wrote:
> I am using a Centrino 1.4Ghz with 512Mb of RAM, and I do not have any
> reason to complaint about memory.
Yup...

My two fastest machines are cheap, er... I mean less expensive... HP
Slimlines, s7400n 512M 1.6 GHz, running Suse 10 and they fly... and I mean
fast...

They came factory bloated, er, I mean pre-installed with M$ Xtra Pricy
software which I dumped... now installed with Suse 10.0 KDE, the works...
now I'm just sitting here wondering how many folks are going to be really
excited (the ones who also have s7400n slimlines, or equiv) to find that in
order to upgrade to the new Vi$ta they are going to have to shell out some
more bucks to obtain (4) four times more memory or be forced to get a new
machine?? yikes.

Seems like its a no-brainer to have Suse ready to pounce on the
opportunity...

Here is what I'm concerned about... suppose M$ puts hooks into Suse that
force it to "appear" to run just as well as M$ Vi$ta???

That might be called *interoperability*....

I mean, how in the world is M$ going to compete with an OS that runs four
times faster on existing hardware for a fraction of the money??? Do any of
you see my point???

I hope everyone ( please tell them AJ ) stays on top of this....

--
Kind regards,

M Harris <><