[SLE] cannot find config files for a lot of apps, I must be old now
  • From: 张韡武 <zhangweiwu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 21:17:29 +0800
Hello. I am a 5 year's linux user, my experience told me if some
application looks insane because of wrong configuration, I can always
restart by removing ~/.appname folder

This used to work for several years for ~/.vim ~/.openoffice and ~/.xine
then suddenly I feel dropped in the modern world, a lot of applications'
configure file is misteriously missing, I don't know how to reset
per-user setting at all. Examples:
* f-spot, I asked f-spot list where is the configure file and get
no response
* banshee, there is no ~/.banshee
* K3B, CDRW burning tool

And there are many others tool. where have all the configure files been?
Is there a new general way of keeping configurations? I must be old now.

If there is a new general way of keeping configurations, perhaps my old
way of backing up won't work. I used to back up "~/.*", restore it on
the newly installed computer as "~/.Trash/.*", then think which
application's configure file I need, do "mv ~/.Trash/.vimrc ~/". I would
use it for a month, restore an app's configure file when I need, after
one month all the files remaining in ~/.Trash are not userful anymore
and I clean the trash. Now I think I need to figure out a new way to do
backup/restore.

--
锐业软服(国内业务) http://www.realss.cn
Real SoftService http://www.realss.com