Re: [SLE] Is there any real purpose for hald on a server-only system?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 15:50:12 +0200 (CEST)

The Saturday 2006-07-01 at 12:41 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

> I've quickly had a look at what hal is all about, and it seems to me
> that it's primarily for making things easier for users on a desktop,
> whereas it makes little or no sense on a server system? Have I
> overlooked anything?

I understand that now everything in /dev is created dynamically by the
udev system, and udev depends on hal to know what devices are present in
the system to create the nodes.

So the answer is that hald is required, yes - unless you dissable udev as
well, and go for a completely static /dev tree.

The details, I do not know.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson