[SLE] Partitioning in SuSE (or in general)
  • From: "Marius Roets" <roets.marius@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 17:56:03 +0200
Hi,
I want to have 2 SuSE installations on my harddrive, and use Grub to
decide which to boot. My hd is currently partitioned into 2 windows
partitions, a swap, and Reiser partition with /. I shrunk the Reiser
partition (I have good backups, so I thought I could risk this), and
tried to create a new partition. Apparently the limit of primary
partitions is 4, and I already have 4. Same for extended partitions,
and logical partitions can only be in extended partitions, and I have
no extended partitions. At least, this is what the error message says.

My problem is, I really don't know when to use primary partitions,
extended partitions or logical partitions, so I have no idea how to go
about solving this. Any advice on how to do this, but also more
general information on what each type of partition is good for, is
what I am looking for.

Thanks
Marius