[SLE] adding mp3 support for gstream / rhythmbox on SuSE 10.1
  • From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 01:46:17 +0800
Hello. I bet I am not the first one confused by this. I already hang
there one hour trying to figure out how to do this without any clue.

SuSE 10.1 installs Totem without mp3 support, as always. I googled a lot
and discovered a gstream plugin for mp3 (using on mad) should make both
Totem and Rhythmbox accept MP3. A webpage told me the need package is
gstreamer-plugins-extra-mad and mad

Later is very easy to find on packman, gstreamer-plugins-extra-mad is
damned difficult to find. I discovered
gstreamer-plugins-extra-mad-0.8.11-3.i586.rpm which resulted dependency
error:
error: Failed dependencies:
gstreamer = 0.8.11 is needed by
gstreamer-plugins-extra-mad-0.8.11-3.i586
gstreamer-plugins = 0.8.11 is needed by
gstreamer-plugins-extra-mad-0.8.11-3.i586
gstreamer-plugins-default = 0.8.11 is needed by
gstreamer-plugins-extra-mad-0.8.11-3.i586
libgstreamer-0.8.so.1 is needed by
gstreamer-plugins-extra-mad-0.8.11-3.i586

I cannot find gstreamer-plugins-extra-mad particularly for 10.1 on
Google too. Actually I searched over hours to trying figure it out.
Stragely there are two few people on the internet ask the same question
when I google it. A lot of people do asked about SuSE <10.1, answers
cannot be applied on 10.1. some answers about how to play mp3 ignores
gstream (e.g. http://linuxmint.com/content/view/200/51/)

Generally, trying to play mp3 on SuSE 10.1 could be a painful experience
(I already took a lot of time pain figured out I need a mp3 plug in for
Banshee, but Banshee has other problems that I has to switch to
rhythmbox)