Re: [SLE] Partitioning in SuSE (or in general)
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 14:41:50 -0400
Marius Roets wrote:

> My problem is, I really don't know when to use primary partitions,
> extended partitions or logical partitions, so I have no idea how to go
> about solving this. Any advice on how to do this, but also more
> general information on what each type of partition is good for, is
> what I am looking for.

Originally, there was only primary partitions, to a maximum of 4. This
meant you could not have more than 4 partitions total. To get around
this, the extended partition was created, where you could have several
more "logical" partitions. The extended partitiion uses one of the 4
primary partitions. Linux doesn't care which type of partition it's
installed in, though Windows insists on being in a primary partition.
So for Linux installs, with less than 5 partitions, it doesn't matter
what partition types you use.