Re: [SLE] Is there any real purpose for hald on a server-only system?
  • From: Ian Marlier <ian.marlier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 01:41:42 -0400
On 7/1/06 6:41 AM, "Per Jessen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've quickly had a look at what hal is all about, and it seems to me
> that it's primarily for making things easier for users on a desktop,
> whereas it makes little or no sense on a server system? Have I
> overlooked anything?

I worked through the "what requires" RPM option to figure this out with
10.0, and it turned out that on a basic server install (text-only, plus a
couple of utils, apache, and php) the only thing that needed hald was
powersaved. In that particular application, I didn't want powersaved
running anyway, so I just removed it, disabled hald, and everything has been
running for months without issue.

That said, I have no USB devices, no firewire devices, no iSCSI or other
SAN, basically nothing fancy at all.

Not sure if that holds true for 10.1, but that's my experience with 10.0. I
would give it a good bit of QA before experimenting in a production
environment, though...

(Also, whatever you end up doing, pay attention to the system clock. What
made me disable powersaved was clock skew related to freq scaling...there
was some weirdness there in 9.3 and 10.0, don't know yet if it's gone in
10.1)