Re: [SLE] Is there any real purpose for hald on a server-only system?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 10:20:59 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

> The Saturday 2006-07-01 at 19:17 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
>
>> > Interesting experiment - I'm getting tempted to do one myself.
>>
>> Which I've just done:
>>
>> I did an "insserv -r haldaemon" which complained about 'network"
>> depending on 'haldaemon'. So I did an "insserv -rf haldaemon" instead
>> and rebooted the box.
>> Not having hald running doesn't seem to make much of difference.
>
> It depends on which version of SuSE you are running; for 10.1 it would
> be much different, I think.

This is a 10.1 system :-)

> It is not simply hotpluggable things. Try the command "lshal", and you
> will see that it reports on fixed hardisks and partitions, video,
> chipset, ethernet.... everything.

Yeah, I did notice that, but that doesn't necessarily mean hald does
anything for all of that. Still, that is the reason I brought up the
question. Anders' example of using hald in a context of iSCSI was
quite interesting, and there might very well be other such examples.

BTW, it's not that I have any particular dislike of hald, I just wanted
to know what it does for me, and it didn't seem to do much for a
non-desktop system.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich