Re: [SLE] Is there any real purpose for hald on a server-only system?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 12:39:57 +0200 (CEST)

The Sunday 2006-07-02 at 10:20 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

> > It is not simply hotpluggable things. Try the command "lshal", and you
> > will see that it reports on fixed hardisks and partitions, video,
> > chipset, ethernet.... everything.
>
> Yeah, I did notice that, but that doesn't necessarily mean hald does
> anything for all of that. Still, that is the reason I brought up the
> question. Anders' example of using hald in a context of iSCSI was
> quite interesting, and there might very well be other such examples.

Well, usb, firewire, scanners, etc, are obvious examples. Hardisk
partitions or video card are less clear.

> BTW, it's not that I have any particular dislike of hald, I just wanted
> to know what it does for me, and it didn't seem to do much for a
> non-desktop system.

Not being a linux developper, I don't know to what extent the integration
has reached. I heard that the intention was to use that "hardware
abstraction layer" as that, as a method to know everything available on
the system in order to decide what needs to be created in /dev.

Its difficult to keep track of these things unless someone in the know
speaks up...

It may be that udev doesn't require hald to be running. Or it is compiled
in... I don't know.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson