Re: [SLE] 9.1 TO 10.1 QUESTIONS.
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 16:06:32 -0400
On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 13:16 -0500, John N. Alegre wrote:
> I am contemplating an upgrade from 9.1 Pro to 10.1. I plan to do this
> with iso disks downloaded from the net.
>
> I have two fear / question comments.
>
> The first one is pretty straitforward. What files should I back up
> (independent of the SuSE standard upgrade backups) to insure the
> transition of procmail / SMTP and MySQL. 95 % of this machines
> reason to be is to be a mail server and a MySQL server. All mail
> reading is on the machine either by direct login or by using X
> Windows on a separate server so there is no POP / IMAP to worry
> about. Just SMTP and procmail to take incoming mail from net > users
> mailbox.

You cannot upgrade from 9.1 to 10.1 without having a -LOT- of problems.
Save your procmail/SMTP settings and export your MySQL database prior to
installing a "fresh" system. Then restore the saved settings MySQL
database.

> The second question is much less concrete and I am not expecting much
> of an answer from the list but all comments welcome. It has to do
> with NVIDIA drivers and the upgrade. This machine was originally 8.0
> > 9.0 Pro > 9.1 Pro. For that entire time I have had this fight with
> the NVIDIA drivers. I have posted to the list many times with these
> problems and got some great feedback pretty much in the way of "yeah
> I have seen that too, I do not know what is going on". The problem
> is losing the entire X Window system. I has happend about 5 times, 3
> of those where with respect to upgrading the kernel. Each time when
> I have fixed it, I have no clue of what I did or if anything I did
> has made any matter anyway. Some of the things have been
> reinstalling older or newer drivers from NVIDIA or running the
> various configuration apps that are on the system such as sax2.

If this is a server I don't understand the need for "X" to be running.
As far as mail being read on this machine use POP as it really easy to
setup and use and the fewer people that have access to a server the
fewer problems that can come up from its use. I have an old machine I
use as my email gateway and wen services and pop the mail from it
without problem.

--
Ken Schneider