Re: [SLE] commercial presentation of next SUSE Linux distribution
  • From: Michael James <Michael.James@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 11:35:30 +1000
On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:26 pm, jdd sur free wrote:

> I would like to see:
>
> * A "professional" boxed set with all the disks, _two_ DVD9
> and 5CD, all two manuals (1000+pages) in the local langage,
> and this at the price it deserve, whatever high it is. When
> I see the price of manuals alone on the shelves, (much) more
> than $100 should not be a real problem. SUSE standards
> again. Much less expensive than Novell servers products
> (with they 5+ years support), but worth 2 years support.
>
> * A minimal cd/dvd set. 5CD, 1DVD9, all of them in an A4
> hard paper enveloppe (nearly no manual) - sold through e-bay
> and mass dealers (Amazon?), with _NO_ Novell support, for
> the printing cost. This should be less than $15+shipment.
>
> The latter for thouse without download capability
> all over the world.
>
> your feeling?

I'm very much in agreement, although I'm prepared
to pay a bit more for a bit less to support SuSE.

Lets call them the "Deluxe Edition" and the "Postal Edition".
The difference is physical weight, not RPM content.
Calling Postal "Lite" is going to generate confusion,
as both would have the same (complete) package list.

For the Postal Edition, just 1 double-sided dual-layer DVD
in a lightweight mailer, US$25 air posted to anywhere in the world.
Pay an extra US$10 for an extra architecture, eg PPC or source.

The Deluxe Edition would contain: Rescue/Boot CD,
DVDs with ALL architectures, ALL packages, and source.
Printed User and Administrator manuals explaining
philosophy, approach and best practice installs and extensions.
Deluxe price? Well I was always happy to pay AUS$170
for the quality we got in the good old days.

Nowadays by the time the boxed edition is available
I've downloaded a more complete install server
than money can buy. So why bother?

michaelj

--
Michael James michael.james@xxxxxxxx
System Administrator voice: 02 6246 5040

No matter how much you pay for software,
you always get less than you hoped.
Unless you pay nothing, then you get more.