[SLE] Grub and mirrored root disk
  • From: Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 15:57:23 +0200
Hi,

This is SUSE 10.0, with patches.

I have a mirrored /boot file system (soft-RAID 1, with md). I.e., /dev/md0 is mounted at /boot, and /dev/md0 is a mirror of /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1. The initial setup of the mirror and of GRUB was done during the SUSE installation.

After a recent kernel update, my system hang at the GRUB message and could not be booted. (I know why I postpone kernel updates until I have time to cater for the aftermath... ;-) Well, that was rather easy; I repaired it from the rescue system by repeating the GRUB setup:

grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

That worked, the system now boots again. Now I'm wandering if that was sufficient, because GRUB is not reinstalled on the second disk. (When the first disk fails, it shall be able to boot from the second, of course.)

I have two questions:

1) Do you know if a SUSE installation does something special when GRUB is used for mirrored disks? Does it install stage1 in both MBRs or only in one MBR?

2) Independently of my first question, are there recommendations how to handle the situation? Shall I do the GRUB-setup for hd1, like I did for hd0?

Thanks in advance for any opinions,

Joachim