Re: [SLE] Re: Festival can not talk in 10.1
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 21:33:30 +0200 (CEST)

The Wednesday 2006-07-05 at 22:56 +0900, Masaru Nomiya wrote:

> Carlos> but now (10.1) it halts with this error:
>
> Carlos> pipe_open: failed to start audsp
> Carlos> Audio spooler has died unexpectedly
>
> Just same as for me (10.0).

ough :-(

> Carlos> Sound is working correctly, it seems. But not festival. I don't know what
> Carlos> that "audsp" is; I do have a file named /usr/lib/festival/audsp - perhaps
> Carlos> it is a device that is missing :-?
>
> I've no idea.
> That is,
>
> festival> (SayText "Hello, Carlos")
>
> works.

Right, same here.

> I compiled speech_tools and festival, then it works fine for me.
> Shall I send the patch files for you?

I remember trying to compile it some time ago, back in 8.2, and I didn't
manage it. But I might try again... unless I learn another method to make
it talk a text file (the --tts method was the simplest).

Ok, send it... I'll try.

The thing is, I had a cron job every half hour telling me the time:

/bin/date +"%B %e %k hours %-M minutes " | /usr/bin/festival --tts

Now I have another:

0,30 * * * * saytime

There must be another way to use festival, but there is very little
documentation included. In the doc directory there are some samples, but
no instructions on how to use them. For example, there is a "intro.text"
and an "ex1.ogi" file:

This is an example.
<FT (voice_don_diphone)>
<slow> This is a slow example.
<Male>
<SLOW> This is a very slow example.
<normal> a normal one <fast> and a fast talking example.
<FAST> Maybe this one is too fast.

<normal>
<Male> My name is Mike, <spell mike>.
My telephone number is <phone 650-2787>

<Male> Mike here. <female> Chris here. <male> This is Gordon. <MALE>
I'm most terribly sorry to interrupt at this time, but my name
is Roger. A good day to you.

How do I play those? They don't say :-(

- --
Cheers,