Re: [SLE] Date synch problem
  • From: Jim Sabatke <jsabatke@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 08:34:23 -0500
Anders Johansson wrote:
On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 07:33 -0500, Jim Sabatke wrote:
First of all, I *have* read Carlos Ronbinson's howto numerous times.

I cannot get my system clock and the KDE clock in the corner of the screen to show the same time. I've tried more combinations of things than I can recall. They always show a 12 hour difference. For example:

rm /etc/adjtime
date --set=07:30
*hwclock --systohc

sets the system clock to 7:30 local time, but the KDE clock immediately jumps 12 hours ahead. BTW, the KDE display is also set to local time. My email goes out at the proper time in this mode.

The fact that it's 12 hours exactly seems to indicate that it's a am/pm
problem. I'm pretty sure that date expects a 24h time, so 7:30 is am,
and 7.30pm is given as 19:30

Could this be the problem?

By the way, the easiest way to set the correct time is to use ntp. Find
an ntp server close to you and do

ntpdate <server>

to synchronise

OK, I started the date synch daemon and rebooted. The box started up with the correct time in the KDE clock. I then typed 'date', which should just display the date, and two things happened:

1. It displayed the correct date
2. The KDE clock jumped 12 hours ahead.

BTW, this is SuSE 9.0.

I have no clue what is going on here. Just displaying a date shouldn't change anything.

Jim