Re: [SLE] "cd xyz<tab>" In Su mode causes exit
  • From: "Greg Freemyer" <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 12:32:45 -0400
On 7/4/06, Mandar Mitra <mandar.mitra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm using SuSE 10.0. When I switch to root mode using "su", and in
root mode, do:

# cd /foo/bar/xyz<tab>

to complete a directory name, then I am automatically thrown out of
root mode, and get back my own user prompt, like so:

# cd /foo/bar/xyzlocalhost%

This happens only if my login shell is tcsh, not if it is bash. Also, this
does not happen if I do "su -", but this puts me in /root instead of the
current directory.

Is this a known issue? Are there are any fixes?

Thanks,
Mandar.

Mandar,

I have not seen this discussed on this list before, but I have
certainly seen similar issues.

In particular I have half a dozen lab machines I log into as root all
the time without X running at all (save me the histerics, its a lab
machine and I need full priviledges because I'm manipulating hardware
(disks/tapes/usb devices/etc.)).

On these lab machines attempting tab-completion often logs my terminal
session out. Not always, and I have not figured out the rhyme or
reason to the madness.

OTOH, if I start a terminal session from within a X-windows
environment I don't recall it ever happening.

FYI: I have been experincing this for a couple years at least, so it
is not a recently introduced problem from my perspective.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group