Re: [SLE] NEW kernel.
  • From: Ralph Ellis <ralphellis1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 12:47:33 -0400
On Friday 07 July 2006 01:44, Basil Chupin wrote:
> Ralph Ellis wrote:

> >> Any progress on this that you are aware of Fred?
> >>
> >> Cheers.
> >>

> >> --
> >> "It is well known that among the blind, the one-eyed man is king".
> >>
> >> Desiderius Erasmus
> >
> > The latest that I know about is 2.6.16.20-2
> > I have been running it for about a week without problems. It seems to be
> > a bit faster. I tried it on my laptop as well but I use a lan connection
> > there so I can't let you know if the wi-fi support works also.
> > The kernel in its various forms in available at:
> >
> > http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/suse
> >/
> >
> > Happy tinkering
> > Ralph Ellis
>
> Many thanks, Ralph. I have now installed this latest kernel.
>
> It seems to me that it now works a bit faster than the earlier versions
> - but I may be wrong.
>
> Cheers.
>

> --
> "It is well known that among the blind, the one-eyed man is king".
>
> Desiderius Erasmus
I have found that most of the updates from the factory area have both
increased speed and stability. However, installing from there is a gamble. I
am fortunate that I have disk imaging software so if I do mess things up, I
just blow away the installation with the last saved disk image. I do find
that anything to do with the kernel or xorg requires a re install of the
video drivers but other than that everything is working well.
Ralph Elllis