Re: [SLE] Creating PDF document in GNOME?
  • From: "Andre Truter" <andre.truter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 20:53:35 +0200
On 7/7/06, Curtis Rey <crey@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

KDE community may come from. Once again. SuSE and GNOME have been fringe to
each other for some time now - at least until Novell bought SuSE and Ximian.
KDE users and devs feel they are often taking a back seat to GNOME. This
angers many, especially since KDE development seems to be more stable and
predictable than that of GNOME - yet GNOME gets all the limelight.

Hmm.. Interesting. I guess it all depends from which angle you see things.
The way I perceive it is that GNOME has always and still are taking
the back seat to KDE in SuSE.
The KDE environment on SUSE is much better integrated and smooth than
the GNOME environement on SUSE. Compare GNOME on SUSE for instance
with GNOME on Ubuntu and take my original question as an example.
So, the way that I see it is that, even though the suits are pushing
GNOME in SLED, KDE is ruling SUSE and openSUSE.
So I don't really see why people complain.
I can understand that people might think that new Linux users might
lean towards GNOME because that is what is pushed onto them in
corporate marketing and commercial systems that might be rolled out at
thier place of work.
But I do not see it as such a big risk. If KDE is technically and
ergonomically superiour to GNOME, then people would still use it when
they get thier home computer converted to Linux, which will probably
be openSUSE or SUSE (not SLED)

Maybe I underestimate the average user and the influence of marketing.

I know that marketing is powerful, but I think that in the case of
OpenSource, where people have a choice, technical superiority will
have a bigger influence against marketing.
Unlike the proprietary market, where people are only exposed to
marketing and do not have a choice, so they never get in touch with
the technical superiour product, so they start to believe that watever
the market is forcing onto them is the only choice.
This was the situation in the PC market for very long and the reason
why Windows was so successful. But look what is starting to happen
now that people are being exposed more and more to a choice in the PC
OS market.

Therefore, I don't see Novell's choice for SLED as a threat to KDE.
Also take the XFree86/Xorg situation into account, then one can deduct
that if KDE is superiour to GNOME, then it will prevail and GNOME is
not a threat.

That is how I see it.

But I still prefer my GNOME and SUSE, even though it is taking the
back seat in SUSE and I have to use some KDE and Qt apps for some
things. I can live with it.

--
Andre Truter | Software Consultant | Registered Linux user #185282
Jabber: andre_tux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | http://www.trusoft.co.za