Re: [SLE] CD-Drive problem
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 13:32:27 +1000
Carl William Spitzer IV wrote:
On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 11:11 +0100, Derek J. Carr wrote:
Carl William Spitzer IV wrote:

On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 17:47 +0100, Derek J. Carr wrote:

Hello,

My second CD/DVD-ROM drive is giving me a problem. SUSE 10.1 KDE. If I
insert an audio disk I get no sound. If I insert a data disk, I get the
following Konquerer error message:

"Method "Mount" with signature "sass" on interface
"org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" doesn't exist

Can anyone help?

Best regards, Derek J. Carr, Birmingham UK

Seems you can only have one sound card connector and yours in on the
other drive. Try something simpler grip the music on the problem drive.

As to the mount try disabling the auto mount.

I tried disabling the auto mount, but it didn't stick. However, the mounting problem seems to have sorted itself out after I did that, although it still auto mounted.

It does make sense that only one CD can be playing at once, but I'd rather it was the DVD-ROM that was the player, rather than the DVD-RAM.

Then switch the sound card connector to the preferred machine. BTW why
not a full DVDRW with dual layer ability that way you can use the
Install DVD which is dual layer.

CWSIV

A little addition to the above re the sound for DVDs, and poossibly for CDs which I don't play, in 10.1:

for an unknown reason, on boot-up the slider for the PCM control is always set to 0. Before playing a DVD (?CD) go Start/Yast Control Centre/Hardware/Sound/Other (bottom RH) and select Volume then adjust slider. I have both PCM and Master set to 95% as an example.

(I haven't confirmed this yet but I suspect that after I have watched a DVD and exited Xine the slider also returns back to 0 but, as I said, I have yet to test this feeling.)

If anyone knows how to make the PCM slider stay at 95% on boot-up please let me know, thanks. (This problem was not in v10.0 or earlier versions.)

Cheers.

--
"It is well known that among the blind, the one-eyed man is king".

Desiderius Erasmus