Re: [SLE] mount: only root can mount /dev/hdd on /media/dvdrecorder
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 00:51:50 -0400
On Sun, 2006-07-09 at 09:28 +0200, steve wrote:
> On Saturday 08 July 2006 17:34, Mike McMullin wrote:

> > > Hi Jon. Hi everyone.
> > >
> > > Nope. Can anyone send me the fstab line for their dvd recorder? SuSE 10.0
> >
> > /dev/dvdrecorder /media/dvdrecorder subfs noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid
> >,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
>
> Hi and thanks.
>
> Thats exactly what I have now but I still can't mount the disk. Or rather I
> can but I have to do it as root.

I don't mount that disk unless software is writing to it. I have a
DVD (reader) drive that I use to read disks, checking my /etc/fstab, it
has the exact same attributes save for the /dev/ and /media/. I do
actually allow KDE to mount it when disks are inserted.

> I see /dev/dvdrecorder is a link to /dev/hdd. I removed the original line
> in /etc/fstab and let Yast>hardware add it for me.
>
> I can't see any errors relating to this under /var/log
>
> Can anyone give me any clues?

I'm not sure if this is of any benefit, but it's the line from
my /etc/fstab for automounting by users of a fat32 partition:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/ME vfat users,gid=users,umask=0002,iocharset=utf8 0 0
You might find something to tinker with in it. There have been several
threads on mounting optical drives, but I don't have my histories sorted
out yet, they probably have just what you are looking for in them, which
means a google search of the archives could be a good place to look
further.

Mike