Re: [SLE] Mp3 decoder ??? thx to help
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:48:42 +0200
On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 21:39 -0400, Jean-Philippe Lemieux wrote:
> >hey i<m kind of new to all the linux world and i installed suse linux after
> >being encouraged by my friends. When i try to open an mp3 with Banshee or
> >totem it ask me for some decoder i dont have and it do the same thing when
> >i try to open any media file .... someone can tell me how to install the
> >software or give me a link to a tutorial page < thanks

To get banshee to play mp3, you need to install the helix backend

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/10.1/inst-source-extra/suse/i586/banshee-engine-helix-0.10.9-21.i586.rpm

You will also need to install the helix packages from that same
directory

xmms has nothing to do with banshee, and lame is an encoder, not a
decoder

But for other multimedia needs, http://packman.links2linux.org is your
best bet