Re: [SLE] Using an AC'97 modem
  • From: PatrickM <mop48836@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 01:29:18 +0100
Sean Rima wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> I have an internal modem in my laptop which I want to use as a fallback
> link when my main inet link goes down, I am on a sat feed due to my
> location. lspci id's it as :
> Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
> (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)
>
> I have done searchs on google but see nothing that helps
>
> Sean

Hi Sean,

may be you could try the following.

1. Using smart (i don't see it with yast), with the add-on channel
installed, or by other means, fetch a package called
"smartlink-softmodem-kmp-X",
where X stands for "default", "smp" or "bigsmp". If you have only once
processor, try the first.
The actual version is 2.9.10

2. Once installed, try this, as root:

modprobe snd-intel8x0m
slmodemd -alsa -c COUNTRY hw:1 &

where COUNTRY is your country (duh..)
You can get the exact spelling with this command:
/usr/sbin/slmodemd --countrylist

(and the country name is in CAPS)

You should have your modem working OK, and i thank BTW the kind person
who gave this hint first in this list, as this works fine for me too :-)

These commands are typed as root, and only as root i can kppp correctly.

Still, there is this resource as another possible step:

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/

Good luck, and please tell if it worked :-)

PatrickM