[SLE] Success installing 10.1
  • From: Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:59:16 +0700
Hi all,
I want to inform you that I've managed to install OpenSuse10.1 over my FC5 on
the notebook preserving /home partition.
Here are some installation notes:
1. In order to prevent any compability, before installing I delete any apps
settings in /home, and renaming .kmail and .evolution to something else ( I
want my email to be restored).
2. Everything seems installing smoothly, except the installation process got
hung up when it tries to setup my Intel wifi card 2200. In the log file I saw
that it failed to load the driver. So, I had to redo the installation process
from the very beginning again, this time I Un-configure the wifi card so that
Suse will not try to set it up. The installation finished ok.
3. Restoring the mails from my FC5 kmail into Suse went smooth. I first run
kmail in order it to create the directory, then I replaced it with the old
one. Started kmail again, waited for about 15 minutes for it to rebuild the
index, and voila, all my mails were there again. But I lost my accounts and
filters settings. Still don't know how to migrate it.

A few glitches notice:
1. Midnight commander title doesn't changed when we logon into a server, and
the logoff. The title still shows as if we're still connected to the remote
server.
2. Floppy drive cannot be mounted using the floppy icon. I had to use the CLI.
3. Overall, I feel that the installation process is bit "heavier" in terms of

So far so good. I love it.

Today I plan to install it on our branches using VNC. I bet the users will
love it too.
http://linux2.arinet.org
10:48am up 1:47, 2.6.16.13-4-default GNU/Linux