Re: [SLE] Reinstalling windows
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 08:09:56 +0200
Hey i installed suse linux on both of my computer but now i would like to
uninstall one and put back windows Xp ... but when i try to boot from cd it
just show me a black screen in dos wha it try to detect my hardware ....
anybody can help :) thanks

I ran into that once with installing Windows... it's something to do
with an unsupported video card (assuming it's the same problem I had)
- ie it was an onboard vid card, and the XP installer didn't know what
to do with it. It was so long ago though I cannot remember the
solution steps other than that it was a HUGE hassle to get WinXP
re-installed. I gave up and just used Linux... was easier.

It could also be issues with an old version of XP and missing SATA
drivers - if you have a SATA drive of course... it could be some odd
setting that was made in your BIOS... like oh.. I don't know... maybe
boot sector virus protection is turned on... loads of possibilities...
since you didn't give any information at all about the hardware (age
and type) you're installing on, the error messages (if any)... without
useful info like that, you're not going to get much help. Plus..
you're asking on a SUSE linux mailing list about how to install XP?
Better wear your flamproof undies :-P

.