Re: [SLE] Remote Administration like Radmin or pc Anywhere
  • From: Ulf Rasch <list-suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 12:32:52 +0200
The Nice Spider wrote:
hi,

i just tested TightVNC but this s/w can not show
CURRENT user in suse linux.
let's me explain:
- in Linux PC, I login as root and open Firefox
- i am using TightVNC for windows and logged to the
Linux PC as root too, but what displayed in tightvnc is not the "current
monitor", instead tightvnc open new connection, so I can not see the
opened Firefox browser!

is there a way (or another s/w) that can show me the
current user? like what i do when using Radmin (www.radmin.com) and Symantec
PcAnywhere.

VNC on your linux site will start a new X Server which you can see with a vnc viewer. If you want to see the firefox then you have to advise firefox with the DISPLAY settings to be displayed on the X server of the vnc.

Example:

start vnc on your box (vnc starts xserver on :1)

and execute on your linux box

$ export DISPLAY=localhost:1
$ firefox&

And you should be able to see firefox through the vnc viewer or browser.
You might have to do a xhost + localhost on your server :1

Ulf Rasch